Location: Bristol, UK
About the role
Our DevOps integrate developers and operations teams to improve collaboration and productivity by automating infrastructure, workflows and continuously measuring application performance. You will work with a team in a DevOps environment to complete tasks relating to our current projects. This will include assisting with building and maintaining our development, staging, and production infrastructure using tools to automate common everyday infrastructure tasks and to maintain an on-call rota with the team to ensure production systems stay running at all times.
About the Team
Our products and services are designed, built, and cared for by our engineering teams in Bristol. Each team owns a slice of the product portfolio in close collaboration with product managers. We believe in letting teams self-organise and self-determine by supporting them with design and project expertise when needed.
We use Java, Go, PHP, JS, TypeScript, and SQL in a diverse suite of applications. Our service oriented architecture processes thousands of transactions an hour while maintaining high-availability and reliability. Our uniform deployment platform (Kubernetes on AWS supported by our global Infrastructure team) means that everyone gets hands-on experience with the full lifecycle of each product.
- Collaborate in a small cross-functional team to design, implement and run our automated platform for delivery and production hosting.
- Align with Software Engineers to improve reliability and performance in their subsystems.
- Partner with System Administrators in automating toil and eliminating alerts.
- Provide “follow-the-sun” coverage with UK/US co-workers to ensure production availability on an as-needed basis.
- Diagnose problems seen in production and advise on solutions.
- Support development and delivery environments to minimise team disruption.
- Research tools and services to support buy-vs-build decisions.
- Develop expertise in diverse technical and business domains.
- Expand your knowledge of programming languages and technical stacks.
Ideally you’ll have:
- Background in high-scale systems development.
- Experience with queuing technologies (e.g. RabbitMQ).
- ELK / monitoring experience.
- Experience using modern configuration management tools (such as Ansible or Chef).
- Experience working with Terraform.
- Experience both using and maintaining CI / CD tools (such as GoCD and Jenkins).
- Broad knowledge of various AWS services.
- Strong understanding of the core kubernetes primitives.
- Familiar with maintaining & supporting varied production environments.
- Experience instrumenting services for performance and reliability monitoring.
- Industry experience writing well-tested code in one of our platform languages (Java, Go, Python, Ruby).
- BSc (or equivalent) in a technical subject (comp.sci./science/engineering)
- Integration experience with HTTP APIs (e.g. REST).
- Good understanding of relational databases and SQL.
- Linux command line, basic administration and shell scripting.
- Experience tracking down bugs in a production environment.
- Experience using, developing with and maintaining cloud hosting services (ideally AWS EC2 and RDS)
- An attitude of continual improvement, lifelong learning and an interest in new technologies.
- Ability to work with a variety of languages and technologies day-to-day.
- Assess the relative merits of different languages and technologies according to requirements.
- Good verbal and written communication skills; fluent in English.
- Team player capable of delivering to deadlines and the ability to work calmly under pressure to resolve production issues.
- Proactively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Quality focused and detail oriented.
- Must be living in England or Wales and be willing to travel to our Bristol office as needed.
- Possess the ability to work in the UK without visa sponsorship from Brightpearl.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we collaborate and learn from each other is core to Brightpearl’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a supportive place to work.