Location: Bristol, UK
About the Role
Brightpearl exists to automate retail. We manage over 10m transactions and $2bn of business a year with our cloud platform. We are looking for talented software engineers to join our polyglot teams in the UK.
This is an opportunity to collaborate in a cross-functional team to design, extend and implement the UI of our web app. We are at an early stage of our implementation of ReactJS, so we expect this role to contribute to defining how we do things moving forward. The plan is to use a ReactJS + TypeScript framework interacting with our existing service oriented architecture to implement all new features, and port existing functionality out of our legacy PHP UI.
We implement agile scrum and you will be able to have a direct impact on team processes by regular agile retrospectives.
About the Team
Our products and services are designed, built and cared for by our engineering teams in Bristol. Each team owns a slice of the product portfolio in close collaboration with product managers. We believe in letting teams self-organise and self-determine by supporting them with design and project expertise when needed.
We use Java, Go, PHP, JS, TypeScript and SQL in a diverse suite of applications. Our service oriented architecture processes thousands of transactions an hour while maintaining high-availability and reliability. Our uniform deployment platform (Kubernetes on AWS supported by our global SRE team) means that everyone gets hands-on experience with the full lifecycle of each product.
- Collaborate with other Software Engineers and SDETs to deliver the frontend for new features and defect fixes.
- Contribute to the move of features out of our legacy PHP UI into our new react.js + TypeScript framework interacting with our existing service oriented architecture.
- Produce fully tested code that respects the industry best practices and standards.
- Diagnose problems seen in production and advise on solutions.
- Work in a virtualized environment using Docker and Kubernetes to create, and manage the provisioning of the services.
- Expand your knowledge of programming languages and technical stacks.
- Collaborate with product owners and other stakeholders to the definition of new features and projects.
- 3 years+ writing well-tested code in a modern framework like ReactJS, Angular, or similar
- Experience with TypeScript or typing systems like Flow.
- Proficient in HTML5/CSS3.
- Integration experience with HTTP APIs (e.g. REST).
- Knowledge of secure web development practices.
- Experience tracking down bugs in a production environment.
- Motivated by continual improvement, with a keen interest in learning new technologies.
- Ability to work with a variety of languages and technologies day-to-day.
- Strong problem solving skills with a creative approach
- Good verbal and written communication skills; fluent in English.
- Team player – enjoys collaboration and helping others, as well as working autonomously to deliver to deadlines, with quality.
- Work calmly under pressure to resolve production issues.
- Proactively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Quality focused and detail oriented.
- Eligible to work in the UK without visa sponsorship from Brightpearl.
It would be great if you also have
- Good understanding of relational databases and SQL.
- Good knowledge of some backend languages such as Java, PHP, nodejs, etc.
- Experience in scaling web applications and UI performance.
- Working knowledge of testing tools like Selenium.
- Experience in using and maintaining CI / CD tools (such as GoCD, Jenkins or similar).
- Experience developing concurrent and distributed applications.
- Familiarity with Linux servers and deployment strategies, including Docker and Kubernetes
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we collaborate and learn from each other is core to Brightpearl’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a supportive place to work.