Location: Austin, TX USA
About the Role
We’re looking for an accomplished Legal Counsel to join our expanding Business Operations team.
This role is our first in-house hire in our legal team, for our growing SaaS Company. We’re offering a unique opportunity to work across the entire business, with particular focus on commercial-oriented legal guidance and facilitating commercial transactions. You will be our go-to person for all aspects of Brightpearl’s legal affairs – globally-, managing risk whilst maintaining the entrepreneurial culture of the company. This role reports to our Chief of Staff and may be supported by external legal counsel for specialized services.
This progressive role presents the opportunity to establish yourself as a trusted business partner and thought leader in the company, to achieve the best possible outcomes for Brightpearl, help us understand and manage our risks, and to be an influential advocate for sustainable growth and healthy customer relationships.
- Partner with our Go To Market teams in the preparation, drafting and negotiation of non-standard terms for strategic customer contracts. Facilitate the resolution of legal challenges efficiently, whilst managing risk, and educate Brightpearl’s representatives to effectively sell our standard legal terms and conditions and follow best practices:
- Provide legal and practical advice in the drafting, negotiation and execution of all types of agreements and legal documents on behalf of the company, with customers, alliances and vendors;
- Collaborate with stakeholders and subject matter experts to ensure that legal agreements and policies are aligned with business objectives;
- Implement and manage enforcement of contracting policies, directives and strategic initiatives, supporting litigation and dispute resolution as required;
- Keep stakeholders updated on status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with matters;
- Provide cross-functional legal and compliance assistance to other departments, on a variety of legal issues, and where appropriate, liaising with external legal counsel;
- Collaborate with departmental subject matter experts to institute company-wide compliance processes for all areas of the business, including data privacy, security, employment practices, vendor relationships, and intellectual property management;
- Deliver professional and practical advice and administrative support throughout investment funding rounds and associated due diligence processes;
- Design, implement, and oversee processes for scalable legal operations;
- Address other ad-hoc or specialized legal issues in conjunction with Brightpearl leadership, peers and/or outside counsel.
To be successful as our Legal Counsel you will have:
- Relevant experience: At least 6 years of experience in a US law firm or in-house corporate law department, with working experience in commercial contracts, data privacy and data protection;
- New York State Bar Certified is essential. Texas as well would be a distinct advantage. Working knowledge of UK and EU law on top would be fantastic, but not expected;
- Experience in SaaS business preferred
- High degree of ethics and integrity is a must – trust is really important;
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment, and manages priorities and risks objectively;
- Executes with top-notch standards of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Great interpersonal skills: builds rapport quickly, can influence and interact professionally and collaboratively within our internal Brightpearl teams, as well as with Brightpearl’s customers, alliances and vendors and external counsel;
- Effective and assertive communication skills, with a natural flair to work constructively with counterparties to find mutually agreeable solutions in negotiations;
- Able to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks, and explain legal issues and consequences clearly to business partners and stakeholders, to influence and assist decision making and action;
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and take on tasks, both big and small. This is our first in-house legal role for Brightpearl, after all.
- Willingness to proactively take the initiative to solve problems, with a tenacious commitment to continuous improvements;
- Handles difficult situations diplomatically and independently and remains calm under pressure, to seek the way forward;
- Pragmatic and holds self and others accountable to action, to deliver on commitments on time, to make a positive difference, and achieve the best possible outcomes for Brightpearl.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we collaborate and learn from each other is core to Brightpearl’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a supportive place to work.